Monday, May 12, 2014

A LIFETIME OF MEMORIES OF LOIS JANE KILGORE MCKEEVER by Ron McKeever


Lois Kilgore McKeever
July 14, 1916-June 2, 2012
Being the oldest of 7 children, I might have a memory or two that my other siblings doesn't have.  Asa child, I helped to see after the younger ones, helped Mom cook and prepare food, hauled wash water to help in the washing and learned to iron the hard way.  

I was born in Nauvoo and we moved to the old farm house (burned in 1954) in 1937 and the next 5 were born at the farmhouse with Charles being born near the coal mines in Nauvoo.  

Mom had all the hard work ethics of the Kilgore's and was a top-notch cook.  When I pastored, it was always a joy to carry hunting friends to the farm to eat Mom's cooking.  She made apple and peach pies out of this world.  For years, our church would have an old-fashion day and Mom always prepared 100 fried pies.  The churches kept me as pastor because of the fried pies.  I would carry my hunting buddies to the farm and they later told me that the only reason they went was to eat as many fried pies as they could consume.  

I remember her boarding that train in Beckley, West Virginia to make that long ride home when Papa Kilgore passed in 1949.  During the course of her almost 96 years on this earth, I remember all the major surgeries that she endured.  After Pop died, she continued to remember her wedding anniversary since, as far as she was concerned, she was still married.  

At Mom's funeral, I mentioned that she was never nominated as Mother of The Year, but what other mother could claim that she had two sons with a combined total of 100 years, serving God in various churches.


  She awaits the resurrection at Oak Grove Church, along with Pop, Charles, Hugh Francis, Glenn, Russell and a host of other family and friends.  Once more, I wish I could tell her how much we loved her, and if, possible, love her more in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment